Think Green at RSNA 2015
RSNA is committed to hosting one of the greenest and cleanest meetings in the industry. Together we can make a big difference. Here are some ways you can help RSNA present an event that is environmentally mindful and socially responsible.
Meeting Materials, Recycling and Conservation
- Recycling receptacles can be found throughout McCormick Place for paper, bottles, cans and general waste. Dispose of recyclable material correctly into clearly marked bins throughout the convention center.
- RSNA offers an expansive selection of electronic documentation for its annual meeting and provides QR codes, apps and mobile-optimized tools as an alternative to printed materials.
- RSNA offers complimentary Metra train passes and shuttle bus transportation to travel to/from McCormick Place as well as discounted airport shuttle service via Go Airport Express. (Fact: Traveling in a shared airport shuttle saves 60% of a person’s carbon footprint compared to traveling in a taxi.)
- McCormick Place reserves 5% of parking in Lot A for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles.
- McCormick Place became an EPA Green Power Partnership in 2014 and was recognized in their Green Power Leadership Club for Exemplary Green Power rankings. All electrical consumption for RSNA 2015 is offset with 100% Green E Wind Energy Certificates.
- McCormick Place minimizes energy by reducing lights, power, escalators and HVAC (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) during move-in/move-out in the exhibit halls and meeting rooms when not in use and uses compact fluorescent lights throughout the convention center in place of incandescent lamps. Do your part by turning off the lights, electronics and heat in your hotel room when it’s unoccupied.
- The new ECA (Electro-Chemical Activation) devices at McCormick Place allow the convention center to produce its own detergents and sanitizers using only tap water, salt and electricity.
Food & Beverage Service
- Bring your own refillable coffee mug or beverage bottle and receive $0.25 off any fresh-brewed drip coffee or fountain beverage purchase at any food outlets at McCormick Place (excluding Connie’s Pizza and McDonald’s).
- Fill up your water bottle at McCormick Place EZH2O filling stations which minimize plastic bottle waste in the environment. Stations have Green Ticker display that counts the quantity of bottles saved from waste. Also, stations have a visual LED status Filter Monitor.
- McCormick Place SAVOR Chicago remains committed to sustainable food service practices at the nations largest convention center.
- The massive rooftop garden at McCormick Place - the largest in the Midwest - provides 6,000 to 8,000 pounds of produce to SAVOR...Chicago. The vegetables are incorporated into dishes served in catering and restaurants.
- SAVOR...Chicago sorts all of its garbage into compost, recycling and landfills.
- SAVOR...Chicago donates food to local charities after every show.
- Food selection sourcing, method, preparation, and seasonality are taken into consideration when designing menus for both catering and restaurant operations. SAVOR... Chicago follows sustainable seafood guidelines for restaurants and catering.
- SAVOR...Chicago has been recognized for its sustainability leadership and innovation including Green Seal Certification, International APEX certification in sustainability for the entire McCormick Place campus, certification by the Green Meetings Industry Council, an Illinois Governor’s Award for sustainability and recognition from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for leadership, education and outreach, including winning the EPA’s national Food Recovery Challenge.
Chicago Hotels & Restaurants
Together we did a great job in 2014 - Help us do better this year!
- Chicago has taken a stand in protecting the environment through its steadfast commitment to green, sustainable policies and practices. As a worldwide leader in innovative environmental initiatives, Chicago has integrated sustainability into its local government, businesses and other institutions around the city.
- Chicago has seven certified Green Seal and six LEED certified hotels, adhering to exacting environmental standards of energy efficiency, water conservation, recycling and waste reduction.
- Chicago's visitors and residents can easily identify eco-friendly dining options with the Green Chicago Restaurant Coalition's (GCRC) Guaranteed Green distinction. GCRC is dedicated to protecting the environment and conserving natural resources by helping the Chicago foodservice industry reduce its collective environmental footprint. Locations that display the Guaranteed Green 'sprouting fork' decal in their window are guaranteed to be certified by either the Green Restaurant Association or Green Seal with comprehensive environmental standards.
Through our recycling efforts at the 2014 meeting, we had a facility diversion rate of 63%. What does Facility Diversion Rate mean? Waste diversion is the prevention and reduction of generated waste through source reduction, recycling, reuse, or composting. Waste diversion generates a host of environmental, financial, and social benefits, including conserving energy, reducing disposal costs, and reducing the burden on landfills and other waste disposal methods. 2014 savings:
- 3,080 trees
- 68, 841 gallons of oil
- 743,118 kilowatts of electricity
- 1,268,120 gallons of water
- 543 yards of landfill space